Monday, 28 February 2011

Welcome

 "The purpose of the society is to discuss various philosophical issues in an informative yet entertaining fashion. Ideally we shall meet every fortnight and hopefully we shall be engaged in a wide variety of activities; this might consist of student and staff presentations, movie nights and debating competitions. I am hoping to develop a full programme in the next few weeks which will then be offered to all of the society's members for their feedback- this means that our first actual meeting will not occur until the 2nd semester. However, as an indication, I hope to include the following topics/themes: - Plato's Apology - Aristotle on the good life - The Stoics and self-control - The Epicureans and the nature of pleasure - The history of Christian ethics - The history of Islamic ethics - Immanuel Kant and Cosmopolitanism - The existentialists- Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and Sartre, and Camus - Arendt on human plurality - Victor Frankl on courage- Amongst many more! I shall keep you posted as soon as possible! Best, Jack "

No comments:

Post a Comment