Monday, 9 May 2011

Debating subjects?

Hello everyone, now that we have a provisional film list ( please feel free to make your own suggestions- just post your comments on the facebook wall- search for "Philosophy Society @ UWS"- and I will add it to the "philosophical films" list I have attached to this group) and a slowly emerging speaker programme (only 5 thus far excluding myself but I will be sending out friendly reminders soon;) I wanted to suggest that we hold a series of debating competitions; I am completely open to how we conduct these debates and the subject matter chosen. As a beginning, I propose the following and welcome your feedback:

Topics: (based on a 13 week term)

1) Why study philosophy?
2) Should we attempt to "cure" ageing via technological intervention?
3) Does God exist and if so to what extent does he intervene in human affairs?
4) Is eating meat ethical?
5) Can euthanasia be ethical?
6) Is suicide immoral?
7) Can there be any "just" wars?
8) Is virtue necessary or sufficient for happiness?
9) Is democracy the best form of governance?
10) Is capitalism a just socio-economic system?
11) Is mandatory military service ethical?
12) Are human beings inherently of greater value than (non human) animals?
13) What is "beauty?"

Principles of the debate:

1) No one has a monopoly of the "truth" of the matter
2) No degrading language should used during the debates. No one should act in a threatening manner.
3) Each speaker will have the opportunity to speak uninterrupted until s/he has informed the participants that they have nothing further to contribute OR until the moderator intervenes for the purposes of ensuring that all speakers have a fair platform (for instance, time constraints) ; at this point the other speaker will have the same opportunity to voice their views
4) The moderator should attempt to be as neutral as possible during the debates and not privilege any particular actor.
5) No one should be pressured to speak if they do not wish so


etc, etc, etc............lets hear your views!

No comments:

Post a Comment